Editing in Powerpoint
How am I ready to use SlideWin’s PowerPoint templates?
- Click on the “Download a PowerPoint template” button located under “Features of this free template” description.
- The .pptx file will be saved on your device, you can start editing it instantly.
- Don’t forget installing the fonts used for our templates if they’re not already on your device. You can download them thanks to links we’ve mentioned on the Presentation design slide.
How to add a slide in PowerPoint?
Adding a new slide
- For Windows: Press Ctrl + M.
For Mac: Press Cmd + M.
- Right-click on the previous slide and select “New Slide”.
- Go to "Home" on the top bar, click on “New Slide”
Duplicating a slide
- Go to the slide you want to duplicate, right-click on it and select “Duplicate slide”.
Can I change the layout of any slides in PowerPoint?
You can do it anytime. Here are some ways to change the layout of a slide in PowerPoint :
- “Layout” menu is located in “Home” tab, click on and select the option that suits your requirements.
- Right-click directly on the slide that you want to change layout, go to “Layout” and pick the best for you.
I want to change the color of the shapes and other elements in PowerPoint. How?
Select the graphic resource, go to the top bar, click on “Shape fill” or “Shape Outline”. To change color of only a part of the resource, you have to double-click on it to select only that part or ungroup it first.
How to access the master slides in Powerpoint?
There are some design elements in master slides. To modify them, you have to go to “Slide Master”.
- Click “Slide Master” located on the “View” tab.
- In the master template view, all the layouts available are shown in the left pane.
- You can customize the color, typeface or elements here.
- After you finish, to exit, click “Close Master View” on the Slide Master tab.
How can I use my own photos and images in the templates in PowerPoint?
Yes. There are two types of images in the templates:
- Images placed on the slide. Instead of images on the template preview page, after download ppt files, open it, then you will find image placeholders. To use your photos, just drop and drag them directly into those image placeholders. Besides, you can click on the icon Picture in the middle of each image placeholder, select your photo and click Insert.
Background images. To set your own photos or images as the background in PowerPoint, check this answer.
How do I modify the background of a slide in PowerPoint?
To change the color of the background:
- Right-click on the slide you want to change, choose “Format Background”.
- In the “Format Background” pane, select “Solid Fill”. Go to the box next to “Color” and pick a color that suits your needs.
To use a picture as the background :
- Repeat the previous step and choose “Format background”, but this time choose “Picture or texture fill”.
- Click on “File” and select the image that you want to apply for the background.
- Click “Insert” to finish.
Besides, you can also choose other background fills options such as “Gradient fill” and “Pattern fill”
Am I able to mask images with a shape in PowerPoint?
To stand out your images, you can mask them to fit into a particular shape.
- Go to “Insert” tab, click “Pictures”. After a dialog box opens, select the picture that you want to insert, then click “Insert”.
- The image will appear on your slide. After that, click it and select the “Format” tab.
- Click on the “Crop” option and choose “Crop” to shape.
- The chosen shape will mask your image. Drag the colored rounded handles to adjust your shape.
How can I change the theme color palette in PowerPoint?
In order to change the theme color, follow these steps:
- First go to “Design” tab, click the drop-down arrow in the Variants group. Select “Colors”, then click “Customize Colors”.
- You will find 12 current theme colors in a dialog box. To edit a color, click the drop-down arrow and select a different color that suits your needs.
- If you want to find the exact tone, click “More Colors”. There are a variety of color options for you here. After that, texts and other resources in all slides that use that theme color will change their tone instantly.
How am I able to use the emojis and the vector icons and in PowerPoint?
Be special characters, all emojis are able to be inserted in any text field.
- Place your cursor in the slide at the spot where you want to insert the symbol.
- Go to “Insert”, choose “Symbol”.
- Scroll up or down to pick the appropriate symbol.
- Click it, then click “Insert”, or double-click it. Now you have inserted that symbol in the text filed
- Select “Close” to exit.
You will find all icons you are free to use on slide number about 20-26. After selecting the icon you want to use, simply copy-paste it to the slide where you want to use it. Also, you can change its size, colors, opacity, width, etc.
How to group or ungroup graphic elements in PowerPoint?
Sometimes, selecting all of the objects when you want to move them is difficult and time-consuming. Thus, it would be best if you group multiple items into one to keep them stay together before moving or resizing.
- To select, click and drag the objects you want to group. You can also click them individually while holding the Ctrl key.
- After selecting those objects, to group them: Right-click on them → "Group" → "Group" or Press Ctrl + G for Windows, Cmd + G for Mac.
- Now, you can now modify them at once.
If you want to work with any of their elements individually to customize them, you need to ungroup.
- To ungroup resources: Right-click → "Group" → "Ungroup" or Press Ctrl + Shift + G for Windows, Cmd + Shift + G for Mac.
Am I able to apply a template to an existing presentation in PowerPoint?
Yes. To apply a new template to an existing presentation:
- First, open your existing presentation.
- In the “Design” tab, expand the “Themes gallery” by clicking the drop-down arrow in the “Themes group”. Then click the “Browse for Themes” option at the bottom. Navigate to your new template’s location, select it and click the “Apply” button.
Now, all your slides will be applied to the new format prescribed by the template.
How can I show a header and/or a footer, date and time, slide number in the template in PowerPoint?
To make a header and/or a footer to be visible in the entire presentation:
- First, open your presentation, and then click "Insert."
- Then click on the "Header & Footer" menu, a new window opens. Now you are able to select any of the following options to add them to your slides: Date and time, Slide number, Footer. After that, in the "Preview" on the right, you can see their place on your slide.
- Type the footer text in the text box under "Footer." If you don't want that text to appear on your presentation's title slide, then select the "Don't Show on Title Slide" option.
- Click "Apply" if you want to apply to the current slide, or "Apply to All" to add your content to all slides, according to your needs.
- Now you can see your content at the bottom of the slides.
You might notice that there is no option for a header. You can solve this issue in the Slide Master.
- Navigate to "View", click on "Slide Master". Select the top slide, go to the "Insert" tab, and then click "Text Box."
- Draw a text box for your header in the appropriate location, and then type your text.
- Click "Close Master View" to back to normal editing mode. Now, you can see your new header box appear at the top of each slide.
How to Edit Headers and Footers in PowerPoint?
As each slide in your presentation is not likely the same, you might need to edit headers and footers on a single slide. If that’s your case, just click the content and retype its text to suit your requirement.
Regarding the headers/footers text format, highlight it, and use the formatting tools in the pop-up menu to modify.
To modify the font size and color of the headers/footer text on all slides at the same time:
- Go to “Slide Master”.
- Select the top slide in the left pane.
- Highlight and edit the headers/footer text here.
After switching back, the new format will apply to all slides.
How can I convert my PowerPoint slides to Google Slides?
If you are using Google Slides for your presentations, you’ll need to convert your PowerPoint template to a different format. Fortunately, converting your ppt file to Google Slides is quite easy and simple.
- Upload your PowerPoint file into your Google Drive account. To do so, first, click "New" → "File upload". After that, find your file’s location on your computer, click "Open". Also, dragging the file directly to your browser is an alternative.
- Then double-click it. Navigate to the top bar, click "Open with" and select "Google Slides".
- Your PowerPoint file will open in Google Slides. Now you can modify it like a Google Slides presentation.
- To have it as a Google Slides file, go to "File" and select "Save as Google Slides". Then, a copy will be created and you still keep the original PowerPoint presentation.
Editing in Google Slides
How am I ready to use SlideWin themes in Google Slides?
- On the template preview page, scroll until you see the “Use a Google Slides Theme” button. Click on it.
- Click on “Make a copy.”
- Now, you have added a copy of the document to your Google Drive. You can start modifying these slides.
How to add a slide in Google Slides?
To add a new slide, you can do any of the following:
- For Windows: Press Ctrl + M.
For Mac: Press Cmd + M.
- Right-click on the previous slide and select “New Slide”.
- Go to the top bar, select Slide, then click on “New slide”.
To add a new slide, you can do any of the following:
- Right-click on it and select “Duplicate slide”.
Can I change the layout of any slides in Google Slides?
If you want to change their layouts, there are some ways for you.
- “Layout” menu is located in the top bar in Google Slides. Drop-down it and choose the best one that suits your needs.
- Right-click on the slide in which you want to change the layout, move your cursor to “Apply” layout and select the most suitable option.
- Select the slide whose layout you want to change, click on “Slide” menu, move to “Apply” layout and select the best choice for you.
I want to change the color of the shapes and other elements in Google Slides. How?
Select the graphic elements whose color you want to change, navigate to “Shape fill” or “Shape Outline” placed on the top bar. Before changing the color of only a part of the resource, don’t forget to double-click on it to select only that part or ungroup it first.
How to access the master slides in Google Slides?
Some graphic resources are placed in master slides. If you want to customize them, you only can do so in “Edit master”.
- Open the “Slide” menu, select “Edit master”.
- The master template editor interface will appear, all the layouts available are in the left pane.
- Now, you are able to edit everything here. For example, text font, color, size, etc
- Go to top right of the pane, click the “X” to exit.
How can I use my own photos and images in the templates in Google Slides?
There are two types of images in the templates:
- Images placed on the slide. Open template in Google Slides, then you will see image placeholders instead of pictures on the template preview page. To use your photos, right-click on these image placeholders, navigate to the “Replace Image” option, select the source of your images.
- Background images. To set your own photos or images as the background in Google Slides, check this answer.
How do I modify the background of a slide in Google Slides?
If you want to edit the backgrounds, then there are a couple of options for you.
- Right-click on the slide you want to modify, choose “Change background”.
- To change color, click the box in the right of “Color”, choose the best one for you. There are two options here: solid colors and gradient colors.
- To use an image as the background, go to “Change background”, click “Choose image”. After that, choose your desired image. You can add it from different sources, such as your computer, Google Drive account, or the Internet.
- Click on “Done” to apply to the current slide or “Add to theme” to apply to all.
Am I able to mask images with a shape in Google Slides?
Of course! To do so, follow these steps:
- Open the “Insert” menu, select “Image” and choose your image source.
- After that, click on your image. Then, open “Mask image” menu by drop-down the arrow next to “Crop Image” option.
- Select the best shape for you.
- Your image will be masked instantly. Also, you are able to adjust that shape by clicking and dragging the colored handles.
How can I change the theme color palette in Google Slides?
Google Slides allows you to change the color theme to fits your requirements.
- At the top, click View, then select Master. Now you are in The master template editor interface
- Go to “Colors” menu at the top.
- In “Theme colors” menu, drop-down “ Choose a theme color”, select the color you want
- You can choose a pre-set color or customize colors here.
- Click the X at the top-right pane. You’ll be brought back to your normal editing mode.
The texts and remain graphic elements in your presentation that use that theme color will change to the new tone.
How am I able to use the emojis and the vector icons and in Google Slides?
There are many ready-to-use vector icons in slide number about 20-26. Select the icons that suit your needs, copy-paste them to the slide where you want to use them.
To insert emojis in your slides:
- First, place your cursor at the spot where you want to insert the symbol.
- Go to “Insert”, click on “Special characters.”
- Drop-down arrow in the middlebox, select “Emoji”.
- Choose the best emoji for you.
How to group or ungroup graphic elements in Google Slides?
It would be best if you grouped multiple objects into one to move, resize or fill color them simultaneously. It is easier and saves much time instead of selecting all of the objects each time you want.
- First, click and drag to select objects you want to group, or hold the Shift key and click them one by one.
- After that, right-click and select “Group”. Or you can press shortcut keys: Ctrl +Alt + G.
- Now you have grouped those selected objects. They can be moved or resized at once.
- To ungroup, select the group, right-click and select Ungroup. Or you can use shortcut keys: Ctrl +Alt + Shift + G. The objects will become independent once again.
Am I able to apply a theme to an existing presentation in Google Slides?
Yes, you can do this with a few clicks.
- To change the theme, go to “Slide” at the top, then select “Change theme”. Choose your desired theme and see your presentation’s new look.
- To apply a different theme from another presentation, click “Import theme“ at the bottom. Upload a presentation from your devices or choose from Google Drive.
Your presentation will adopt the new formatting prescribed by the theme.
How can I add a header and/or a footer to the template in Google Slides?
Here are the steps you can follow to add the Google Slides header and footer.
- Select the slide that needs a header or footer.
- Click the “Text box” on the toolbar. Then click and drag to create a text box on the slide. For a header, drag it on the top margin; for a footer, drag it on the bottom margin.
- Finally, enter the text for your header/footer. Using the options found on the toolbar to modify the text’s font, size, color, etc.
- To add the Same Footer or Header on Multiple Slides.
- Click “Slide” and select “Edit Master”. The Master Editor View will appear.
- Click the “Insert placeholder” drop-down arrow on the toolbar. Then select “Text Box”.
- Now, select the top slide. Draw a text box to place the footer or header.
- After that, enter the text. The text’s font, size, color, style, etc., can be customized thanks to the options placed on the toolbar.
- To exit the master view, click the “X” button at the upper-right. The footer or header text will be visible on all the slides.
How to add Page Numbers on Google Slides?
In order to make page numbers to be visible, follow the steps below:
- From the Toolbar menu, click "Insert" and select "Slide numbers."
- Click on "Apply" if you want your page number to be visible in the entire presentation. Besides, to number only specific slides, choose "Apply to Selected."
If you want your title slide not to be numbered, simply checkmark the option "Skip title slides."
Also, you can get rid of Slide numbers from Google Slides:
- Select again "Slide numbers" menu.
- Click the "Off" option.
- Then click the "Apply" button.
How to export a Google Slides presentation as a PowerPoint file?
You can export your presentation to PowerPoint.
Go to “File”, then select “Download” and you will see many options here. Choose “Microsoft PowerPoint (.pptx)”.
Then, a pptx file will be downloaded, you are able to use it in Microsoft PowerPoint.