Adding a couple of animations or transitions to your presentation can make your speech more engaging, convey your messages professionally and uniquely. In Microsoft PowerPoint, the animation is used to bring individual elements like text, shapes, or pictures on or off the screen. Meanwhile, a slide transition is a visual effect that controls how to move from one slide to the next.
- Adding the Animations to Slides
- Animation Settings
- Adding the Transitions between Slides
- Transition Settings
Adding the Animations to Slides
- Open your PowerPoint presentation.
- Select the element you want to animate.
- Go to the Animations tab, you’ll see an available list of animations. For more animations, drop down the arrow in the Animation group. Choose your desired animation.
- If you want to adjust the direction of the animation, click Effect Options, and choose an effect that suits your need from the dropdown list.
- If you need to review which animations you have applied to an object. Click Animation Pane, a new panel will appear on the right side of the slide. Click Play From button to preview.
- In case you want to add more effects to an animated object, go to Advanced Animation group, select Add Animation and choose an animation. This new one is applied after the existing animations.
- You can edit the timeline of animations on the slide.
- To add an animation to grouped objects, first, select the objects you want.
- Right-click on them, select Group > Group.
- Click Animations, choose an animation.
- To remove the animation of an object, select that object, go to the Animation group. Then select None.
- In the Timing group, there are options you can use to control how your animations start.
- On Click – Your animation starts when you click a slide.
- With Previous – An animation plays at the same time as the previous one.
- After Previous – Start an animation after the previous animation ends.
- Duration – Lengthen or shorten the animation to your liking.
- Delay – Add a certain number of seconds before your effect runs.
- To adjust the order of animations, select an animation, then choose Move Earlier or Move Later.
Adding the Transitions between Slides
- Open your PowerPoint presentation.
- Select the slide that you will add a transition to.
- Go to the Transitions tab. For more transitions, dropdown the arrow in Transitions to This Slide group.
- Select a transition from the available list.
- Next, you can adjust the direction of the transition by selecting Effect Options. (Note: Some transitions don’t have Effect Options) Then, choose an effect.
- If you want to remove a transition, go to the Transitions tab, click None.
- Note: You are able to change all the effects of a slide or object without removing the applied animations or transitions. Just select that element, and choose a different effect from the available list.
- Select the slide that you’ve added a transition.
- Go to the Transitions tab in the Timing group.
- To pick a sound to play during a transition, drop down the arrow next to the Sound option. Select the sound from the list.
- You can modify the speed of transition thanks to the Duration option. Type the number of seconds or click up, down arrow to specify the length of your transition. The shorter a duration is, the faster a transition advances.
- Click Apply To All if you want to apply the transition setting of the current slide to the entire presentation.
- In the Advance Slide option, select the On Mouse Click check box to move to the next slide when you click the mouse.
- You can move to the next slide automatically after a certain time. To do so, select the After check box. Then, type the number of minutes or seconds.