If you want to insert an engaging and relevant video in the presentation, you are in the right place. In this tutorial, you’ll learn how to do that process step by step in PowerPoint. Before we dive in, remember that your audience can retain about 90% of the information when they watch it through video. Compare this to only 10% retention when reading text; undoubtedly, it is a great tool to grab people’s attention that you shouldn’t ignore.
- How to Add a Video Stored on Your Computer
- How to Embed a Video from YouTube
- Edit a Video with Video Format Tab
- Edit a Video with Playback Tab
How to Add a Video Stored on Your Computer
- Open your presentation. In normal view, select the slide that you want to add videos.
- Click the Insert tab, go to the Media group, click the arrow under Video.
- Choose Video on My PC… The Insert Video window will open, navigate to your video and select it. After that, click Insert to add the video directly to the PowerPoint presentation.
- However, this option will also increase the size of the PPT file. To avoid that, instead of clicking the Insert button, click the down arrow next to it, then select Link to File. Now you’ve created a link to the file to reduce the size of your document. In case you copy or move this PPT file to a different device to present, don’t forget to link the video again. Otherwise, that link will be broken. Besides, we also recommend copying the video into the same folder as your presentation.
- When a video is added to the slide, a toolbar appears below the video. You’ll see features: a play/pause button, a progress bar, incremental forward/backward buttons, a timer, and volume control. If you need to preview the video, click the Play button at the left.
How to Embed a Video from YouTube
- To insert an online video and play it during your presentation, make sure you’ve connected your device to the internet.
- Open your PPT file. Choose the slide where you want to embed the video.
- Go to the Insert tab, click the arrow under Video in the Media group.
- Select Online Video… to add a YouTube video. Insert Video window will open, and you’ll see two options there. You can search YouTube for any video by its name or paste an “embed” code to insert an online video directly.
- In the Search YouTube box, search the video you want to insert, then press Enter. Pick your video from the list of results, click Insert.
- In the From a Video Embed Code box, paste the embed code, click the arrow, or press Enter. Note: Don’t confuse Embed Code with the video’s URL. For example, to get the Embed code of a Youtube video, click the Share button below the video frame, and choose Embed, then click Copy.
- Once selected, a video rectangle will appear in your slide; you can relocate or change its size as you like. Afterthat, to preview the video, select it, right-click it and choose Preview. Then click the Play button that appears on the video.
Edit a Video with Video Format Tab
Choose the video you want to edit in your presentation, and the Video Tools tab will appear on the toolbar. It includes two settings: Format and Playback.
- Select your video, go to the Format tab in Video Tools.
- In Adjust group, you are able to adjust the brightness and contrast of your video thanks to the Corrections option; change color with the Color option; set a preview for your video with the Poster Frame option. To restore the video’s default format, click Reset Design.
- In the Video styles group, you can modify the video’s effects and styles, such as Reflection, Glow, Shadow, and more. Also, the video’s shape and border can be customized with ease; click the drop-down arrows next to each option and select your most suitable choice.
- In Arrange group, take advantage of options here to align, rotate your video. You can also bring your video forward or send it backward to keep it hidden behind fewer or more objects.
- The Size group’s options allow you to crop the video to your desired height and width.
Edit a Video with Playback Tab
Before we start, please note the settings in the Playback tab are only available for videos from your computer. Thanks to them, you can customize when to start the video, add bookmarks, fade and trim video, and so on. Regarding inserted online videos, they have the site’s controls for playing, pausing, adjusting volume, … The most of playback features in Powerpoint don’t apply to them.
- Select your video. The Video Tools tab will appear. Click Playback.
- In the Preview group, click Play to preview your video.
- In the Bookmarks group, you can add a bookmark at the current time in your video. It helps you to quickly go to important points in the video while presenting. To remove the bookmark, select the bookmark icon in the toolbar that appears below the video, then click Remove Bookmark.
- In the Editing group, click Trim Video to determine the start and end times. There are also options that you can use to add fade effects and adjust their length.
- The last group is Video Options. Click the arrow that appears below Volume to select the volume of your video. Click the Start drop-down arrow; you can choose between playing the video automatically or after you click. In case you want your video to take center stage, select Play Full Screen. To hide the video when it is not playing, select Hide While Not Playing. Loop until Stopped option allows you to repeat the video until it’s stopped. If you want to rewind the video after it’s finished playing, place a checkmark at Rewind after Playing.